بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
الحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله وعلى آله وصحبه، أما بعـد
‘Abdullah ibn ‘Amr رضي الله عنه narrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said:
خَصْلَتَانِ أَوْ خَلَّتَانِ لاَ يُحَافِظُ عَلَيْهِمَا رَجُلٌ مُسْلِمٌ إِلاَّ دَخَلَ الْجَنَّةَ هُمَا يَسِيرٌ وَمَنْ يَعْمَلُ بِهِمَا قَلِيلٌ تُسَبِّحُ اللَّهَ عَشْراً وَتَحْمَدُ اللَّهَ عَشْراً وَتُكَبِّرُ اللَّهَ عَشْراً فِى دُبُرِ كُلِّ صَلاَةٍ فَذَلِكَ مِائَةٌ وَخَمْسُونَ بِاللِّسَانِ وَأَلْفٌ وَخَمْسُمِائَةٍ فِى الْمِيزَانِ وَتُسَبِّحُ ثَلاَثاً وَثَلاَثِينَ وَتَحْمَدُ ثَلاَثاً وَثَلاَثِينَ وَتُكَبِّرُ أَرْبَعاً وَثَلاَثِينَ إِذَا أَخَذَ مَضْجَعَهُ – فَذَلِكَ مِائَةٌ بِاللِّسَانِ وَأَلْفٌ فِى الْمِيزَانِ. قَالُوا يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ كَيْفَ هُمَا يَسِيرٌ وَمَنْ يَعْمَلُ بِهِمَا قَلِيلٌ قَالَ « يَأْتِى أَحَدَكُمْ الشَّيْطَانُ إِذَا فَرَغَ مِنْ صَلاَتِهِ فَيُذَكِّرُهُ حَاجَةَ كَذَا وَكَذَا فَيَقُومُ وَلاَ يَقُولُهَا فَإِذَا اضْطَجَعَ يَأْتِيهِ الشَّيْطَانُ فَيُنَوِّمُهُ قَبْلَ أَنْ يَقُولَهَا ». فَلَقَدْ رَأَيْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- يَعْقِدُهُنَّ فِى يَدِهِ
“There are two characteristics that whenever the Muslim maintains them will enter Jannah. These two traits are easy to possess but only a few people acquire them. Say ‘Subhan Allaah’ ten times, ‘Al-Hamduillah’ ten times and ‘Allaahu akbar’ ten times at the end of each Salah. By performing this (deed) you will earn one hundred and fifty rewards for your tongue and one thousand five hundred for the scale (of good deeds). And before you go to sleep say ‘Subhan Allaah’ thirty three times, ‘Al-Hamdulillah’ thirty three times and ‘Allaahu akbar’ thirty four times. By saying these words before you sleep you (will) gain one hundred good deeds for your tongue and one thousand deeds for the scale. The Sahabah رضي الله عنهما asked: “O Messenger of Allaah, how is that these deeds are easy, yet few people perform them?” He replied: “Right after a person finishes the salah, Shaytan comes to him and reminds him of something that he has to do, therefore the person gets up and leaves without saying these words. Additionally, when he lies in his bed, Shaytan comes to him and causes him to fall asleep before mentioning these words. ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Amr رضي الله عنه said: “I saw the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم say these words using his hand to count them.”
[Abu Da’wud, 5065; Tirmidhi, 3410; Musnad Ahmad, 2/205; An-Nasa’i and others – Imam An-Nawawi graded the isnad of this hadeeth as being Saheeh and Imam Tirmidhi said this hadeeth is Hasan Saheeh]
1. Badr ad-Deen Al-‘Ayni رحمه الله تعالى commented on this hadeeth in his book ‘Al-Ilm al-Hayyab fi Sharh il-Kalam at-Tayyib”:
– Abdullah (narrator of the hadeeth) is: Abdullah ibn ‘Amr ibn Al-‘Aas
– The narrator of the hadeeth wasn’t exactly sure if he صلى الله عليه وسلم said: خَصْلَتَانِ أَوْ خَلَّتَانِ
– ‘Whenever the Muslim maintains them’ (means) Muslims don’t acquire these two traits as they don’t practice these deeds as per their norm.
– ‘One hundred and fifty for the tongue’: If a person says these words after the five daily prayers they will total 150 (as 30 X 5= 150)
– ‘One thousand five hundred’: That every good word which totals 10 is multiplied by 10, so if we sum 150 x 10 we get 1500.
– Say ‘Allaahu Akbar thirty four times’: This is the second trait; the first one is to say ‘Subhan Allaah, Al-Hamdulilah and Allaahu Akbar’ thirty three times after each obligatory Salah.
– ‘ One hundred good deeds for the tongue’: This is earned because ‘Allaahu Akbar’ is said thirty four times, ‘Al-Hamdulilah’ is thirty three times and ‘Subhan Allaah’ is thirty three times, and the total of those is one hundred. And to multiply one hundred by ten you get a sum of 1,000 for the scale.
– ‘The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used his hands’: He counted the number of times he said them with his hand.
– ‘The Sahabah said: ‘How is it that these two traits are not acquired by many?’: In other words they asked how is it that something so easy is neglected; as it is known that when something is easy to do a lot of people do it. Consequently he صلى الله عليه وسلم explained why few people obtain these traits. Shaytan comes to a person when he goes to bed and continues to whisper to the son of Adam until he falls asleep. Also Shaytan comes to a person while he is praying and continues to whisper thoughts and ides that wasn’t in his mind before. Therefore he gets up after finishing the prayer and leaves before saying these words.
Translated by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah
Some other benefits derived from this hadeeth:
a) The adhkar (invocation) and the mention of Allaah’s Names are a means for the servant to enter Jannah.
b) Good deeds are multiplied by ten or more.
c) The scale (Al-Meezan) is a fact.
d) Counting the glorification of Allaah is recommended to be done using the hands.
e) Shaytan is persistent with his whispers to the son of Adam during prayer andat bed time (and all other times.
f) Laziness is a primary means of losing out on so much good and easily-acquired traits.
May Allaah give us the Tawfeeq and extend His Mercy to allow us to practice these easily-possessed deeds, daily.