بسم الله والحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله وعلى آله وصحبه ومن تبع هداه وبعد
Scholars held different opinions about the application and validity of weak hadeeth. The mainstream of the scholars agreed that weak hadeeths can be implemented as desirable in increasing moral excellence only (i.e. fada’il amaal). However, the following summary of conditions must be understood:
1. It is from the catagory of slightly weak hadeeth and not more than that (i.e. very weak or fabricated etc.)
2. It should not oppose an authentic hadeeth.
3. That one does not believe that the hadeeth is from the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم or that it is Sunnah to practise it.
4. It should be in line with valid principles of Islamic Shari’ah (i.e. no new rules can be derived from it).
5. It does not impart specified rewards for acts of worship etc.
6. That it does not establish a new ‘asl (origin) in the Shari’ah; rather it falls under one of the already pre-established principles of the Shariah
7. One should not affirm it as authentic hadeeth and explain the weakness of it when reporting it.
8. Not to propagate the content of that hadeeth unless there is a valid reason or benefit.
And Allaah knows best.