بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
الحمد لله رب العالمين وصلى الله وسلم على رسول الله وعلى آله وأصحابه ومن اهتدى بهديه إلى يوم الدين أما بعد
Allaah سبحانه و تعالى says:
لَقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِي رَسُولِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَة ٌ لِمَنْ كَانَ يَرْجُو اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرا
“Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah, you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day and remembers Allaah much.” [translation of al-Ahzab: 21]
1. Allaah made him صلى الله عليه وسلم protected from mistakes, and to be followed in each and every thing. And He chose for him the best of people to be he Companions and it is therefore obligatory upon us to follow him صلى الله عليه وسلم and to follow his Companions, and imitate their way. And this is something Allaah has commanded us with; and threatened the one who does not follow them. The ayaat and the ahadeeth in this regard are many, but the following few will suffice…
2. In the statement of Allaah, The Exalted:
وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمْ آمِنُوا كَمَا آمَنَ النَّاسُ
“And when it is said to them (hypocrites), Believe as the people have believed…” [translation of al-Baqarah:13]
There were no believers in the time of the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم except the Sahabah and when the Qur`an was sent down, there were no other believers besides the Sahabah. It is binding upon the Ummah to fully understand and embrace the ways and the creed of the Sahabah.
3. Allaah, The Exalted, also Says:
فَإِنْ آمَنُوا بِمِثْلِ مَا آمَنتُمْ بِه ِِ فَقَدِ اهْتَدَوا وَإِنْ تَوَلَّوْا فَإِنَّمَا هُمْ فِي شِقَاق ٍ فَسَيَكْفِيكَهُمُ اللَّهُ وَهُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْعَلِيمُ
“So if they believe in the like of that which you believe, then they are rightly guided, but if they turn away, then they are only in opposition. So Allaah will suffice you against them. And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.” [translation of al-Baqarah: 137]
4. Allaah, The Exalted Says:
كُنْتُمْ خَيْرَ أُمَّةٍ أُخْرِجَتْ لِلنَّاسِ
“You are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind…” [translation of Aal ‘Imraan: 110]
Who is – كُنْتُمْ – (you are) initially addressing? The Sahabah were the original seeds of the Ummah of Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم and they frank directly from the fountain of the final Prophethood. The Sahabah have been mentioned in the previous scriptures of the Zaboor (Psalms) of Da’wud, the Torah of Musa and the Injeel (Gospel) of Eesa’; they were the envy of previous Ummahs.
5. And Allaah سبحانه و تعالى has also threatened those who follow the path and method other than the path of the Sahabah:
وَمَنْ يُشَاقِقِ الرَّسُولَ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُ الْهُدَى وَيَتَّبِعْ غَيْرَ سَبِيلِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ نُوَلِّه ِِ مَا تَوَلَّى وَنُصْلِه ِِ جَهَنَّمَ وَسَاءَتْ مَصِيرا
“And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers’ way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell – what an evil destination.” [translation of An-Nisaa: 115]
6. Some of the merits of Sahabah: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=fatwa&tab=1&vPart=126
7. The Creed of Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jama’ah concerning the Sahabah: http://d1.islamhouse.com/data/en/ih_books/single/en_concerning_the_Sahabah.pdf
May Allaah open our hearts to embrace each and every one of the Sahabah.